I've been absent on this blog for a while, because to be honest, I'm not sure what to write. Do I bore people by giving updates? How much information do I share? Do I write about yet another doctor visit, therapy appointment? Do I write to much about Bella and not enough about the boys?
I miss writing. I miss chatting with friends. Sometimes, I feel as though people aren't really sure what to say to us, for fear of saying the wrong thing.
You know what?
I'm not sure most days what you should say either.
Some days, I want to talk about Bella and the challenges we are facing. Other days, I really just want to get away from it all, and would love nothing more than meaningless conversation about TV shows and the latest fashions. One hour I'm tired and grumpy from fighting yet another battle with the home care company (how hard is it to send the right box of feeding bags?), yet in the next hour I'm giddy from a great physical therapy session.
Confused? Me too. How can you know what to say, when I don't even know what I want to hear? I have found there are some things though that should just be left unsaid (and yes, all of these have been said to me at one time or another).
1. I don't know how you do it, because I could never do it. You could. I promise. I never in a million years thought I would be the mom to a non-mobile, non-verbal child with significant medical issues. But I am. You do what you have to do for the people you love more than anything else in the world.
2. God only chooses special parents, and remember he never gives you more than you can handle. Um, OK. I promise you, I'm not that special. I'm just a mom, who loves her little girl more than anything. What you are not seeing is the sleepless nights, the tears I've cried in the shower, or the displaced anger that I've taken out on my husband and other kids by my snapping and nagging. I do think, that sometimes, God DOES give me more than I can handle. I'm so grateful though, that even when it feels like it's to much, he's never once left my side or left me all alone.
3. But she looks so normal! I can't even begin to write about how much this comment irks me...
4. She has such an easy life, being pushed around in that stroller all day! Right. She does. I'm sure she would much rather be pushed around in a stroller all day rather than playing, running, and jumping like other little girls her age.
I'd much rather hear words like "I'm praying for you", "How can I help", or even just a simple, "Hi'.
That being said, the truth is, I really appreciate you taking the time to try to connect. Thank you for including me in a conversation, and not turning your back because you don't know what to say. Thank you for taking the time to ask me how things are going. Thank you for not staring at my daughter, without saying a word. Thank you for understanding that some days are hard, and that we aren't really that different, me and you. If you run into me at our kids school, or at Target, don't be afraid to say hi, or ask how things are going. I promise I won't hold it against you if you say the wrong thing (even if you say a phrase I've listed here), if you promise to extend grace to me when I'm having a bad day.
Even better? Don't forget about Bella. The people who take the time to say hi to Bella, who give her a smile, and treat her like any other 4 year old, will always get HUGE brownie points from this mama.

16 comments:
I usually don't click on any of the posts on SUYL but your beautiful daughter caught my eye! God must have brought me here just to pray for you, your family and Bella.
Julie,
I hope you win the Loft gift card! Thoughts and prayers for you and Bella. When is her evaluation coming up that she was accepted for? I'm really praying that goes well for you all.
Karlene
All three of your children are adorable!! Prayers for Bella's doctors and the people who will be taking care of her during the upcoming tests.
Also praying for strength, patience and peace for you from one Mom to another.
Your precious little girl is beautiful! And those boys are so handsome! You need to connect up with Hayden. The face book page is Hope for Hayden, if you haven't already. They call him Mr. Lashes. I'll keep you in my prayers and I think you should post for whatever reason brings you here.
I love how Bella's face lights up when she smiles. She knows how much she is loved. You are doing a remarkable job- I know it's tough. I'm excited to see what you will learn through the NIH. I hope you continue to share through your blog. I will be thinking about you.
What a beautiful child! I hope you get the answers and help that you need. Having a special needs child is not an easy on moms or families. Thanks for sharing your story HONESTLY!
Hi Julie-
Your blog caught my eye on Kelly's Korner. I am a mom to a Special Needs child too.
I once read that God DOES give us more than we can handle so that we will rely fully on Him. This makes so much more sense to me than "God never gives us more than we can handle...."
I certainly can not handle all of the heart ache that goes along with being a mom to a Special Needs child. But by the grace of God, I do it.
Your children are beautiful. I'm sending up prayers for your participation in the study.
Hello Julie,
I am a regular reader of Kelly's blog and was drawn to the picture of your gorgeous daughter! I can identify with your label of undiagnosed. I am the sister of a wonderful woman who was born in 1951 and has all her life been undiagnosed. She has many physical issues, which are diagnosed such as spina bifida, web neck, hearing loss, vision problems, heart damage, kidney damage, so many more.... but she has lived a productive life. My parents went from doctor to doctor all over the country searching for help and answers. They never gave up and always followed suggestions even though many family members and some doctors told them to institutionalize her. She had many delays physically but did learn to walk, read, work a computer, and even worked a job for 33 years. She has had a profound effect on our family as both my other sister, my niece and I studied Special Education and taught special needs children in the public schools. The care of my special needs sister has fallen to us now, her two sisters and we know that our children will take up the job if and when we can't. All of that to say that you are the advocate for little Bella. Never stop searching for help. Research is continuing to find ways to help our special needs citizens and they can rise to unimaginable heights with all your love and support. I am cheering for you, your family, little Bella, and the doctors you consult. Prayers and hugs!
Julie, I work for a Pediatric Practice in Arizona. We were fortunate enough to send two of our beautiful patients (brothers) to NIH 2 years ago. They are similar in ability/diagnoses as your sweet Bella. The only thing I can tell you is this: The boys are teenagers and have gone undiagnosed since birth, but now they HAVE a Diagnosis!!! NIH has been a God Send to this family, the staff is amazing and brilliant! Having a firm diagnosis has been life changing!! I pray that your precious Bella receives excellent care and that you receive answers but mostly peace! I will be praying :)
This post brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful family, and oh, boy are those curls and beautiful eyes to die for! Saying a prayer for you and your precious Bella. With love from Georgia
Bella caught my eye also...she is perfectly beautiful. Best wishes in November.
What a beautiful little girl. I was wondering if you have had her tested for angel mans syndrome (not sure of the technical name), my babysitters son had it and it was undiagnosed for years. He also was a precious child with a contagious smile and because he looked normal, people didn't understand why he acted the way he did. I hope I was not being too forward.
Bella is beautiful! Will pray for your sweet little girl!
What a beautiful girl Bella is! I hope you get your answers at the NIH. I saw a show on that and I think they take on 100 cases a year? Wishing the best for you and yours.
Thank you all for the encouragement and sweet comments. I want you to know how much I appreciate them! Jane-thank you for your comment and for sharing your experience. I sometimes wonder if I'm putting Bella through unnecessary procedures and testing in our search for a diagnosis..but I always wonder "what if". What if we could change some things if we knew what we were dealing with? What if we could improve her life with that knowledge? I also appreciated your perspective as the sibling to a SN child. I worry all the time about my boys-will they someday be resentful of the time I spent with Bella at dr's offices and therapy appts? These questions and more keep me awake on more than one night. ;) Thank you again for all your prayers and encouragement. They are so appreciated.
She is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your sweet Bella with the world;) I agree with you on the comments..I cringe every time someone tells me my daughter "looks normal"...
Big hugs and praying for you and your family!
Post a Comment