Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Finally...Another Post

I apologize for the lack of blogging, but well...I'm tired.

Some weeks are overwhelming, and this is one of them.

What have we been doing the past few weeks?

Let's put it this way: Tylenol, Motrin, feed Bella, repeat. UGH.

Both boys were sick with what we now discovered was influenza B. Yep, ironic since we all had the flu shot.

Thank you Jesus for protecting Bella and not having her get the flu.

I find when I'm not blogging, it's usually because I'm stressed or anxious, or have a million and one thoughts rolling around in my mind.

I've been a teeny, tiny bit anxious this week. I'm worried about Bella's test results, even though I haven't even been able to get the blood work done yet. (So, completely frustrating). It's a long story, but let's just say it involves lots of driving and a complete waste of a day. Basically, the testing we are doing right now is worst-case scenario stuff. Stuff that we're hoping we can rule out, but reading about it gives me a serious case of insomnia and a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Wait...maybe that was what I had for dinner.

I digress.

I hate that our life revolves around therapies, dr appts, and developmental goals. Blech.

I'm worried that Bella is having seizures, and what that means. I'm worried every time I feed her, and she gags and chokes. I'm worried what the raspy sound in her chest after eating means. (I probably know what it means, and it's not something the feeding clinic is going to be amused by next week).

I'm grumpy at well-meaning therapists who ask "what new things is Bella doing, and what have you been working on this week?"

Um..well....really, I've been working on making sure that all the kids are breathing, fed, and loved.

Oh, that wasn't one of Bella's therapy goals?

Whoops.

I guess there's always tomorrow.

Because this has been bothering me, I'll post it today, even though I'm late.

The "R" word. YUCK. I hear it in conversations all the time, and it makes me cringe. It's insulting and degrading, even when tossed around in casual conversations.

"Dude, that's retarded".

"I must be retarded to have done that."

"Stop acting so retarded."

Read this.

Think twice.

That's all. :)

Happy Wednesday peeps!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think "breathing, fed, and loved" should be therapy goals. I'm going to put that on our ISFP next go around, then we can actually have some goals be "met" when we review. It sucks that things have to be put on hold when everyone is sick, but it's reality, and we can't do anything about it. Bella needs your hugs and kisses as much as any exercises from PT, so you are doing a fabulous job any way you look at it.

Anonymous said...

It makes me sick to my stomach every time I hear the R-word. Sometimes it is said in a joking manner not only right in front of me, but sometimes even when I have our precious baby girl in my arms. And yet, just as the site you linked to said, I hold my breath... will myself to not to throw up (or to hurl something in the person's direction)... and I walk away. Why is that? I have added "politely confront people that use the r-word" to my to do list. Thank you for writing about it... it gave that boost of courage I needed. Lisa

Kate said...

Hope your family is feeling better soon Julie. Hang in there...I'm right with you.
Kate

Sebrina said...

oVERwelMed!!! been there! our whole family passed some bug around for a week not fun!! I am right there with you with the "R" word..some people say it joking but it cuts me to the bone! hope things start to look up!

Katrina said...

Those darn "social work" types who ask you about goals..:)
I LOVE YOU and let me know who I need to beat up when I come home for using the r word..oops I mean gently redirect.

Keri said...

You know what, I use the "r" word. But after reading this I am going to remove it from my flippant vocabulary.

How did the testing go?

I love your posts. They're so genuine. You're a great mom, Julie, even though you can't see it for yourself. You have the right priorities. :)