Friday, May 15, 2009

Making Me Laugh

*Thank you for the comments on my last post. Yes, I am feeling much better...still have guilt...but am trying to let it go more. The most important thing is that little miss Isabella is doing much, much better. She's eating much better AND gaining weight. That's a very good thing.

Do you ever see something while you are driving that just makes you laugh? Well, I'm sure the hubby does, since HE HAS A HARD TIME KEEPING HIS EYES ON THE ROAD WHILE HE IS DRIVING.

Wait, I digress.

That last part had nothing to do with the point of this post. Can you tell it's a major pet peeve of mine though?!

For those of you who don't know where we live, most (if not all) of our neighbors within a one mile radius are Amish. You just never know what you may see while driving or find in your driveway around here. See this post if you are wondering.

Before I begin, let me just say I have complete respect for the Amish faith, but sometimes things just make you go hmm...

Driving home from a baseball game the other night we saw one of our Amish neighbors trimming their shrubs close to the road. No big deal, right?

Except for the fact that they were using electric shrub trimmers.

How did they do this? I'm glad you asked. They had placed their generator on a little red wagon and hooked up the shrub trimmers to the generator, of course.

Seriously???? How about you just call the electric company and hook up to the electric line there by your house permanently? I'm sure it would be much easier to operate your vacuum cleaner also. Trust me, I'm sure they have a vacuum cleaner.

Now, I realize a picture would make this post much more interesting, but really how do you ask permission to take a picture?

"Umm...excuse me....can I take a picture of your wagon and shrub trimmers, because I think it's pretty funny, considering you are Amish and I would like to blog about it?"

I'm thinking that might not have gone over very well.

Don't even get me started on the horse and cart that were driving all over the road AND INTO OUR YARD while the Amish driver was talking on his cell phone.

Yep, you just never know what you may see on any given day. Next time, I may have to take a picture.


6 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

LOL about Craig looking all over the place while he drives. Hubby tries to use his GPS - - - who invented that DANGEROUS thing anyway???? All he does is look at it, like IT will steer for him.

The Amish thing - - - so funny and so true. I've seen them having picnics with balloons, coke in cans, and Lays potato chips. Hmmmmmm - - - something just doesn't seem right about that.

I THINK it is the "lines" coming into their house bringing in the electricity AND the world that they object to - - - not sure.

Glad you and BELLA are doing better.

Keri said...

Seriously, though, they are living "of the world" when they use those items so just throw in the towel already! LOL :)

Don't they freak out if they get their picture taken?

Anonymous said...

How true! Mom and I were at Keim Lumber for a cooking show and they were promoting some expensive kind of mixer. They asked people that had that type of mixer to raise their hands--almost all of the people who raised their hands were - you guessed it - AMISH. Really now, I don't even know what they're called, much less own one. I guess that's why my mashed potatoes have lumps and theirs don't!! Sheila

Anonymous said...

Oh Yeah, they all have the mixers. They don't believe me when I tell them I only have a hand held one. Sorry Julie, didn't mean to embarass you but I get along just fine with it. Of course I don't cook and bake like they do. Oh, and you know how your Dad likes to look around when he's driving. He's checking out the scenery and I'm watching where he's going. Don't even want to know what he'd do with a GPS in the car. Probably what Keetha's hubby does:) Mom

Katrina said...

Funny post..but still commenting on your guilt thing. Awhile back I blogged about to-do lists and how I feel guilty for not getting things crossed off. Well a few people told me to do away with them (you were one of them). I haven't really done away with them altogether but have been a lot less OCD about them. And I find I'm actually remembering to do things more things than I did when I had all these lists. It is freeing..ha ha!!!

The Yoders said...

I love your post, it made my day!
Some things in this life are not meant to be understood.
I can identify with those {scenic} drives! How is Bella doing? Elsie