Friday, April 17, 2009

Picnics and Parks

The weather was beautiful in our area today. Nearly 70 degrees with NO clouds in the sky. Ahh springtime, I have a love/hate relationship with you.


I love you on days like today where you excite us with visions of flip-flops, capris, and ice cream cones.

Then, in a few days you'll mock us with temperatures barely reaching 45 degrees, requiring cozy socks, jackets, and a cup of hot chocolate.


Stay with me, people. There really is a point to this post. (I think).


My to-do list today consisted of things like vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, laundry, dusting. Yawn.


I just couldn't do it. The forecast was inviting, I was tired of sore, arthritic joints from cleaning, and have I mentioned I'm anxious to meet this baby?


I realize that last sentence had nothing to do with our plans for today, other than the fact that I'm tired and grumpy and very pregnant.


So the boys and I packed a picnic lunch (ok, let's be real: I packed some cookies and grapes, Subway did the rest), and spent the afternoon at the park.


Now of course, nothing ever goes as planned. The park was muddy, it was chilly and windy in the shade when we tried to eat, an older elementary class completely monopolized the playground when my boys were trying to play (I'm still bitter about that, they have their own playground equipment at the school), and of course somebody always ends up getting hurt.


But you know what? All of that still didn't seem to matter in the end. Both boys keep telling me what a fun day they had, and both have asked me when we can do it again.


One of the best parts for me? I even got to read a whole chapter in a book while the kids were playing AND I got a sunburn.


It's the little things in life. I didn't get very many pictures, because, well, I was trying to read my book. Thankyouverymuch.


Before I show you the few pictures I did get, I need to point out that really Alex does have a whole closet full of clothes and shirts. I think I've mentioned before that little Alex is quite particular in what he wears. In fact, currently, I think we have about five shirts that are deemed acceptable to him, and three of them are tank tops. (How in the world he found the box with the summer clothes in them I'll never know).


So, the pictures of Alex are of him wearing Drew's old Tball shirt again. I think that orange shirt is IN EVERY PICTURE I HAVE OF HIM. The good news is Alex's Tball games start next week, and he'll get his very own shirt and hat. Can we all just say a little prayer that he is not on the orange team?



"Really, Mommy? Another Picture? I'm trying to eat my cookie!"



"If only Mommy bought me more clothes, I wouldn't have to wear this shirt again..."




What would a picnic be without ice cream on the way home? Alex ate his whole bowl in about 4.2 seconds and promptly fell asleep for the rest of the drive.

Ahh, parks, picnics, ice cream and naps. Now that makes for a very good day.


2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I know what you mean about north central springs. We froze here all week, and then warmed up to near 70 yesterday too.

I think Alex looks adorable in his orange hand-me-down T-ball shirt. Look at the personality just oooooozing out of him in that photo.

Keri said...

I love this post!!!