See this child above? Cute and innocent, right?
Wrong.
Apparently, Alex has decided that his little life is far too exciting to involve sleeping.
I mean, come on, he has things to do and schemes to dream up. Here is Alex's sleeping schedule the past 24 hours.
Sat. night: 10:00-bedtime snack, stories, tucked in, kissed and hugged. Craig promptly goes into living room, turns on TV, falls asleep. (Trust me, he needed it-he spent the whole day cutting concrete, putting up a vinyl fence, trying to find a pool leak underneath concrete, and who knows what else).
-Drew promptly falls asleep in the bottom bunk. (He loves Alex's bunk beds, and only sleeps in his race car bed on school nights. Honestly, what little boy wouldn't want a race car bed? I hated sharing a room growing up-Sorry Kit-Kat! I'm ready to sell the bed, but that's another story, and I'm getting waaaaay off-track here.
-Meanwhile I go to bed, with hopes of watching "The Office" I had DVR'd (sorry Keetha), but keep hearing various bumping and jumping noises from upstairs. Decide to ignore the noises, and turn the TV up louder.
10:30-Alex comes downstairs saying he has to go to the bathroom. (Never mind that he just went to the bathroom, or that there is a bathroom upstairs right beside his bedroom). Stalls for about a half hour before I finally get him tucked in again.
11:30-Finally cannot ignore the noises from Alex's room anymore! There is one serious party going on up there! Go upstairs AGAIN, wondering the whole time how hard it would be to put an elevator in the house. Threaten Alex, cover him up, listen to his 5 minute tirade of "you're grumpy and I'm mad at you." (He soooo should have been a girl). Assure him I love him, but he NEEDS TO GO TO SLEEP. Meanwhile, Drew and Craig are snoring. (Interestingly, he told me the next morning he was walking around on his top bunk, that's why I heard "lots of noises". Now why wouldn't I have thought of that?)
11:45-hear more noises, decide it's not even worth it.
12:00-Fall asleep. Assume Alex fell asleep sometime during the night.
Sunday Morning: 7:30-Alex comes downstairs with bright, shining eyes. He is happy, cheerful, and in a great mood. Me: not so much.
2:00-arrive home from church and lunch, envisioning a warm bed and a long winter slumber. I won't even go into all the details, let's just say Alex spent 2 hours avoiding naptime, and I finally gave up and watched 3 episodes of Max and Ruby with him.
4:30-Craig takes kids outside to get rid of some energy, while I attempt to take a nap. Finally give up and work in nursery sorting baby clothes. BTW: Guess who got a nap AGAIN. Yep, that would be Craig. Don't worry I'm not the least bit bitter.
7:00-Alex is nearing melt-down stage. Turn on Horton Hears a Who in the hopes that with a full belly and heavy eyes he will fall asleep for the night, and we can carry him to bed.
8:30-The movie is over, and guess who is still going strong, and has more energy than ever?
9:30-repeat bedtime routine. Drew is asleep before stories are over. Alex is still completely wired.
9:45-I assume he finally gave up as there is complete silence in the bedroom. Is there anyone still reading this?
It's currently 7:00, and I still have two sleeping children-although probably not for long.
I wonder what it means if the mother needs more sleep than her three year old son?
I'm optimistic that at least a little bit of his energy will transfer to me today.
7 comments:
Awww Alex! Trust me Julie, once he starts school, his energy level will dwindle..........right????
I read it all - - - even the "Office" bit. Hehehehehehe
Hmmmmm, maybe you should make him run laps, just before bed time, around the yard until he collapses.
And the men getting the naps - - - that is SOOOOOOOOOO typical!!! Keri and I had to watch Greg and Jason NAP here on MOTHER'S DAY of all things. While we had to stay awake and watch the chillins.
Oh my goodness...I can't believe I havn't been following your blog. Literally tearing up from laughing. Blog at least every day PLEASE! I will be a devoted follower :) Love it!! Jess
Julie - - - FB means football to me, so exactly what FB were you trying to get Craig to sign up for, cause NO ONE would have to CONVINCE me to sign up for Football. But whatever it is, if it's ANYTHING like The Office, I won't be signing up for it, so my dear long lost fraternal twin from another mother Craig is quite safe!! :-)
Keetha-I'm sorry. I meant Facebook. Why in the world I tried to convince Craig to sign up I'll never know. I think I've heard the words "pointless" and "popularity contest" in his opinions of facebook!
Oh, but he does make me laugh with his sarcasm! I think he's glad he has you on his side!
I do like facebook, because I've reconnected with a lot of people I used to work with or go to school with-BUT-it doesn't come close to blogging! So, don't worry, I won't be leaving the blogworld anytime soon. :)
Alex is going to grow up to be one of those people who can be fully functional on 4 hours of sleep. Ha ha we called it when he was three..
Oh Julie, I am SO glad that you like blogging better than Facebook.
No WONDER I couldn't figure out what you meant by FB - - - since I HATE Facebook and love football, no WONDER my brain did that to me.
One more thing - - - CRAIG - - - I LOVE YOU - - - - ARE YOU MY LONG LOST SON OR SOMETHING???? You have more of "my genes" than ANY of my kids do - - - they got all their dad's.
Oh I just thought of something. Maybe YOU Julie are from Greg's stock of genes since he loves Office, isn't very crazy about football (says he is, but then begs me to turn off the FB games - - - what is THAT all about!?!) AND he also loves Facebook.
I think I have this thing all figured out AND the best part is - - - it makes you guys our FAMILY.
(We won't even think about the part where you and Craig would have to be at least HALF brother and sister - - - we won't even MENTION that part.) Hehehehehehehehehehe
Post a Comment