Thursday, February 26, 2009

Learning To Read



It's amazing to me what Drew is learning in kindergarten.


Most of my memories of kindergarten are centered around rest time, playing, and letter people.


I mean, who can forget the letter G and gooey gum? Gooey gum tried to answer the door when the doorbell rang, but she was stuck in her chair. Then the phone rang, the oven timer beeped....


Clearly the letter G made quite an impact on my five year old self.


Drew, on the other hand is learning about sight words, 3D shapes, money and it's value, needs vs. wants, math, etc. He came home talking about a rhombus the other day.


I'm ashamed to admit I had to google rhombus. In my defense, I'm quite capable of helping him with his letter G sounds.


I'm definitely not qualified to play the game "are you smarter than your kindergartner."

The thing he's most excited about though (besides recess), is learning to read. Every week he adds one or two more books to his "book bag" which he brings home to read. This is what I found when walking into the living room the other day.



Yep, he's reading books to his little brother.

Where in the world does time go?

On the bright side, I'll have more time to check email keep up with the laundry now.


3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I remember when Keri was teaching her little brother Kelly to read just like this - - - Kelly was only about three at the time.

Katrina said...

Too cute! He's a smart kid.

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Jeanne