It finally came.
The day that has had my stomach in knots and my heart in a puddle.
Today is the first full day of kindergarten for Drew. In fact, I watched him get on the bright yellow school bus not fifteen minutes ago.
I finally realized a tiny bit what it means when people say you need to give your children wings and let them fly.
I'm a little bit of a mess. The house is extra quiet, with just Alex here. I know there were plenty of days this summer, filled with little boy arguments that I wished for a quiet house, but now there is no chattering five year old interrupting my blogging, or fighting to distract me.
And I miss the fighting and interruptions!
I watched him go on the school bus with his new tennis shoes and big orange backpack and wondered what will happen today.
Will he remember where to hang his backpack? Will he be able to find the bathroom? Will he be hungry before lunchtime? Does his teacher know how S-L-O-W-L-Y he eats lunch? Will he find friends to play with at recess? And on and on my mind goes.
I KNOW he is more than ready for kindergarten. He's becoming bored at home. His eyes sparkled with excitement when we visited his classroom for open house and orientation. He wants to go more than anything.
I'm just not sure I'm ready for this stage of parenting.
But, I'll pray. Because, really it's the only thing I can do. I'll pray he finds his classroom. I'll pray for his teacher that she'll have patience and wisdom when teaching these impressionable young minds. I'll pray for the cooks, the principal, the other students, and the bus driver. I'll pray for Drew, my five year old, with the sparkling brown eyes and too big backpack.
And when he comes home I'll shower him with kisses and ask all about his day. Because I'm his mom.
I think I'll make him some of this favorite chocolate chip cookies too. Because I'm his mom.
And these hormones could really use some chocolate right now.

2 comments:
Awwww - - - I do remember those first days of school and the way they tugged at my heart strings.
There is life after they grow up, even though it doesn't seem like it now.
Ahh, he looked so cute! He is really becoming a social butterfuly. Yesterday when we were leaving church he was telling his friend he met bye. Love your boys!
Post a Comment