Friday, August 29, 2008

Camping Recap








The camping weekend recap is finally here! I'm sure you have all been losing sleep in anticipation.

Read this post and this post for some background.

As I have established before, I am not a camper. Let me just say our "real" vacation is happening in October. F-L-O-R-I-D-A.

I heart Florida.

I plan to do nothing more than lay on the beach, listen to the waves, read endless books, and sip umbrella drinks.

Wait a minute... we're taking the kids along.

OK, I plan to chase kids, referee fights, build sandcastles, referee fights, supply snacks, referee fights, ...but I digress.

Let's move on to camping.

I'm just going to say it.


Our camping weekend really wasn't that bad.

Did I just type that? Really?

The kids had a wonderful time. They spent lots of quality time with their grandparents, aunt and uncle and two older cousins. Their older cousins are ten and twelve year old boys. Even though I'm sure it wasn't cool to hang out with a three and five year old at that age, their cousins did a remarkable job at including them. (Thanks Tyler and Adam!)

Their favorite activity, hands down, was fishing. While we couldn't keep the fish they caught (I know, what is the point) we spent countless hours and lots of ham (yes that was our bait, it actually worked) trying to reel them in.






My two favorite little fishermen.





Wait, make that three favorite fishermen.






Alex, are we boring you?




Are you sure?




Although, this picture is a little blurry, I just love the image of father and son







I was able to read a book, with chapters, in it's entirety. The hubby was able to get in a round of golf. The kids played hard and fell asleep exhausted.



And yes, we ate. How can you go camping without consuming large amounts of junk food? Smores, pies, cheese curls, and mike and Ike candy.



My stomach may never be the same.







By the second day, Alex decided he was tired of his picture taking mama. He refused to be in pictures anymore and the batteries in my camera died.



An attempt at getting a picture of me and Alex





Not only was he determined to not be in any more pictures, he also wasn't going to do any more work.



Obviously, he is on vacation. He cannot be expected to pedal one more time.


Don't worry Alex, mommy will get it. I enjoy lugging you and your bike up a steep hill because you're "tiwed".

I think I hear another smore calling my name.

We did have fun camping. It was nice to be with family and spend quality time together. As we were leaving, Drew said "When can we go camping again"?

I think this grin pretty much sums it up

And while I can't say I love camping, I'm sure our family will go again. It was a lot of work, but worth it to see the smiles and excitement on Drew and Alex's face.

Besides, I could really go for a smore right about now.




7 comments:

Nancy M. said...

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like y'all still had some fun!

Kristen said...

Sounds like fun! We love the fishing part too. My kids adore camping....it's a lot of work though, isn't it?

Great pictures!

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Sounds like one of my vaca's!

A book for kids, right? LOL!

Nice post and great pix!

Anonymous said...

I am not a camper either, but it sounds like you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Those boys are too cute..looking forward to seeing them (and you of course) tonight!

Keetha Broyles said...

Sorry Julie, I'm a little slow in finding this new post - - - - I like all the pictures and LOVE that sunset over water.

Keetha Broyles said...

Last night we found a campground up here in WI that I'd LOVE to come back and camp in. Just lovely.