Thursday, August 14, 2008

Camping...Sigh.




We are leaving tomorrow for a weekend camping adventure with family.

There are more red flags in that statement alone than...well I don't know what.

Leaving tomorrow, camping, family, camping....

Let's make one thing very clear.

I AM NOT A CAMPER.

No, sirree. My idea of camping before I met my husband was staying at motel 6 in the middle of nowhere with no cable and no in-room hairdryer.

Yes, then times were tough.

My husband and his family love camping and consider it fun. FUN???!!!!

It's a good thing he has so many more amazing qualities.

I shouldn't even complain. We are not tent camping. We are using a friend's camper, which really has most of the comforts of home. Well, except wireless internet.

I guess you can't have everything.

So, I've been busy cleaning the camper and packing food and clothes ALL DAY LONG for a 48 hour camping trip. All this work for a mere 48 hours.

It's amazing how much stuff you need in order to "rough it" for two days. I mean, "pretend" to rough it for two days.

My boys are beyond excited. Every other question today was "why can't we go tonight? Pleeeaaasssseee".

You know what though? This camping trip is worth all the hours I spent preparing for it, and all the hours I'll spend unpacking after we come home.

Because that's what we do as mom's isn't it? We spend countless hours making sure everything is in order and everything will be perfect, whether for school, vacation, or home.

We do it for the smiles, laughter and giggles. We do it out of love.

And for me it's all that and more. It's all about the memories we will make together this weekend, the smiles, and yes, probably the inevitable tears.

And let's not forget the smores. With double chocolate please.

And in the end, that makes it all worth it for me.





*My sweet husband (one of the reasons I decided to keep him even though he loves camping) took both boys for the entire evening so I would have uninterrupted time to get ready. This picture is of the fishing gear the boys bought tonight. Now let's hope they catch some fish*


2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I HOPE you really have A LOT of fun on this trip.

I LOVE camping. But we do it the easiest way possible:

1) Have our own camper equipped with all the "stuff" we'll need except our clothes and food.

2) While camping we eat out - - - usually at fast food.

3) What ever grocery items we need, we buy AFTER we get set up at the campground - - - makes it part of the camping adventure to shop in a new place and I resent the time less when it's part of the actual trip.

Anyway - - - - HAVE FUN!!!! I hope you learn to LOVE it.

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh yah - - - one OTHER thing that makes it easy:

4) Any cooking we do there is either done by hubby (breakfast - - - he loves to cook bacon and eggs outdoors) or in the campfire - - - pudgie pies.

5) I DON'T COOK while camping - - - or really much of any other time either! Hehehehehehehehe