Monday, November 14, 2011

Gratitude-Week One

I'm pretty sure God has a sense of humor.

It never seems to fail. I only have to make a resolution, and the next day it's guaranteed to be tested.  Remember my gratitude post on Monday?  Well, it was definitely put to the test on Tuesday.

If you followed the saga on facebook, bear with me.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to be blocking Tuesday out of my mind, so I better write it down now.

Here is a quick cliff-note version of the events on Tuesday...aka a horrible,terrible, no-good, very bad day.

-Bella's tube feed beeps around 6am that it's finished, Craig unhooks her, tells me he thinks there was a medicine port open because her blanket is wet, but everything else seems to be dry (apparently he was still half asleep).

-Bella starts fussing around 8:30. I get her up and find her, her bed, her pajamas, her mattresss, SOAKED.  23 oz of pediasure everywhere.  In case you wondered, 23 oz is a lot of fluid, and 23 oz of pediasure smells horrid. Blech.

-I realize there is no way we can make it to therapy, and cancel therapy, throw the sheets in the washer, and give Bella a bath.

-I feed Bella breakfast, and hook her up to water.  I'm a little worried about dehydration, since Bella lost 700 calories and a majority of her liquid intake through the night.  Five minutes after I start the water, I notice water everywhere, but no ports are open, and everything is connected.  Then....I notice a hole.  In the g-tube tubing.  You know, the g tube that can only be replaced by surgery?  Yep, that one. It's leaking.

-Bella's GI Dr is on her way to a meeting, but tells me she will call me back at 4.  In the meantime, I'm to tape her tube, and try to get it to seal.  Tape?  Really?  Riiight.  Of course, it's still leaking...even with tape.

-I pick up the boys from school.  Bella still hasn't had a wet diaper, and I really, really, really wish GI would call back.

-The boys play outside until Alex runs in screaming.  He's crying, holding his head, and there is blood everywhere.  Bella's fussing, and at this point, I don't know whether to scream or cry.  I clean up his head, and call Craig, debating on whether Alex needs stitches.  (Drew was swinging a golf club, and hit Alex accidentally).  Craig comes home from work early, and thinks we'll be OK with just steri-strips...which of course we don't have. 

-Bella is still fussing, it's 6:30, Alex has ice on his head, Drew has basketball practice, I have no way of getting fluids into Bella, and she still hasn't had a wet diaper.  I attempt to give her a bottle, but she refuses.  Craig patches the tube with electrical tape, and I hope it lasts us through the night.

-GI finally calls back at 9:30,and tells us to cut the tubing on Bella's gtube where it's leaking.  As long as we get through one more week without it getting pulled out, etc, we'll be ok to switch to a button.  (The goal is 8 wks, but her Dr said she'll switch her in 4 wks, if it's an emergency).  Craig cuts the tubing, and presto...we have a working g tube again, that's not held together by electrical tape.

-Alex is sleeping, his poor head looks painful, but it's not bleeding, and the steri-strips seem to be holding. Bella is sleeping...and after 2 boluses of pedialyte we have wet diapers again! On Tuesday, I'm thankful that there are only 24hrs in a day.  That after every bad day, the sun rises again, and there's a hope of a better days ahead.  Most of all though..I'm thankful that we are all under one roof, and no one had to visit a hospital for stitches or surgery.

Wednesday..I'm thankful for sweet friends who encourage me and walk with me, and who know what's it's like to have a child with special needs.  Mikaela, Jen, and Lisa (here's where I should link to your blog Lisa, hint..hint), and all the other moms that make up the special loves network-thank you (and thanks Mikaela and Jen for starting it).  And..to my sweet friend Kristen, who daily texts me, encourages me, laughs with me, and cries with me ...I'm not sure what I would do without our friendship. You are amazing, (and NO, you don't talk to much).  ;)

Thursday...I'm thankful for my mom, who took 5 kittens off my hands.  There is such a story behind this, but I'll spare all of you.  (This post is ridiculously long already).  You should know (and I really don't mean to offend anyone), that I am not a cat person (it may have to do with a traumatic cat experience I had growing up).  So you can imagine how thrilled I was to discover 5 kittens in our pool house the other week.  Mom-you have eliminated a mountain of stress.  Let's just say your Christmas present is going to rock, and I owe you hours and hours of snapfish and facebook pictures.  Moving on...

Friday...A night out with one of my dearest friends.  Shopping, Chipotle, no kids, and good conversation.  Thanks, Jeanne, for listening to me whine, and for all the laughs!

Saturday...I'm thankful for the weekend, and that I got to spend some quality time with just Drew.  It's rare that I am able to have one-on-one time with the boys, so this was a treat (even if we were in the car a majority of the time).

Sunday..I'm thankful for blog comments and people who read this boring old blog.  You all have no idea how much your comments, messages, emails, and texts mean to me.  Thank you!  You all rock! 

Now, after the longest, most boring, blog post ever, I'm going to bed.  Next time, I'll try to find my camera cord so I can at least post some pictures.  Good night!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like it should be noted that nothing about your blog post is boring LOL. It's way more excitement than any one person should have to tackle, let alone in one 24 hr period. Fingers crossed that Bella's tubie makes it just a wee bit longer and you can graduate to a button. Fingers crossed that the golf club incident was a lesson learned in watching where you swing, and there will be no more accidents of that sort. Good thing you are Dr Mom, it's a big triumph that none of these things landed anyone in urgent care, or even a Dr's office! Here's hoping to a truly boring week!

Keri said...

1. You are amazing.

2. You (or your blog!) are not boring.

3. You are amazing.

4. I wish I could give you a hug.

5. You are amazing.

6. I love your heart.

7. You are amazing.

8. You are a beautiful blessing.

9. You are amazing.

10. You are loved.

(P.S. You are amazing.)

JMiller said...

Julie, My heart breaks for everything you are going through. I wished we lived closer so I could help out. Please let me know if there's something I can do. I'll continue to pray!

Marietta Troyer said...

Thank you for sharing! Tuesday sounds very exciting and overwhelming. Here's sending a prayer your way that such a day will never ever ever dare to present itself in your entire life again!! I can picture the electric tape on the tube. Not funny but it made me chuckle. And men are so good at such things too. I bet Craig did an awesome job. Today I am thankful that you and I have theeeee most awesome, caring, kind, understanding hubbies in the world. How would we ever survive without hubbies that love us through it all!!