Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Firstborn

I've been "tagged" on facebook to share what I remember about my firstborn numerous times. I thought instead of doing it on facebook, I'll share it on my blog.

Besides, I've had about three hours of sleep last night, and it seems easier than coming up with something original!

There was a serious windstorm that went through our area last night and today. Let's just say no electricity, a six and three year old sharing a bed with their pregnant mama, LOUD wind noise, and coughing/sniffling children do not make for a restful night.

Everything's quiet outside now, the kids are asleep in their own beds for the night, the electricity is back, and I'm settling in to watch The Office.

I think it's shaping up to be a much better night.

Sooo...here goes. This may be incredibly boring for most of you...



  1. Was your pregnancy planned? Yes! I actually had a miscarriage a few months prior, so we were thrilled when we found out we were expecting again.


  2. Were you married at the time? Yes-we had been married for five years. I'm pretty sure my parents had given up on ever having grandchildren.


  3. What were your reactions? Completely excited, yet nervous and scared during the first trimester. Actually, the first trimester is always hard for me because I'm always worried something will be wrong. (probably because of my first pregnancy).


  4. Was abortion an option for you? No


  5. How old were you? 25.


  6. How did you find out you were pregnant? A pregnancy test-or two, or five.


  7. Who did you tell first? The hubby!


  8. Did you want to find out the sex? I did (I hate suspense and surprises), but Craig didn't. We compromised and were going to have the ultrasound tech put it in a envelope and open it on our anniversary while we were on vacation. The baby had other plans though, and the legs were crossed-tightly! Unfortunately, for Craig, I was working in labor and delivery at the time. Combine a slow day with bored nurses, and residents who wanted to practice their ultrasound skills...In other words we found out at 36 weeks! Thanks Angie for doing the ultrasound!


  9. What was your due date? This is a bitter subject-ha! September 17th. One loooong week later we finally got to meet our little bundle.


  10. Did you have morning sickness? Honestly, I can't really remember. I think I was nauseated, but nothing unmanageable. I remember being very tired though.


  11. What did you crave? Chinese food and homemade lemonade. I'll never forget the morning I ate an egg roll and drank orange juice for breakfast. I honestly thought that was a perfectly normal breakfast. Craig, however thought that sounded AWFUL!


  12. What irritated you? Nothing?! I have no idea.


  13. What was the sex of your first child? A Boy.


  14. Did you wish you had the opposite sex of what you were getting? No, and if I would have, one glance at that cute little face with those big eyes and full head of hair would have taken that all away! It's amazing isn't it how a mother's love works? Six years later and I'm still head over heels in love with my little man!


  15. How many pounds did you gain throughout the pregnancy? 25, and if it's more I'm not saying...


  16. Did you have a baby shower? Yes, two. One from co-workers, one from family and friends.


  17. Were they a surprise? No, thank heavens!


  18. Did you have any complications during your pregnancy? Not except for having a very stubborn little boy who was very comfortable inside of me!


  19. Where did you give birth? At the hospital where I worked.


  20. How many hours were you in labor? Oh dear. Honestly, I have no idea. We'll say around 34 hours. On a side note, Alex's labor was around 6 hours. To this day, those two still are like their deliveries: Drew is laidback and easygoing, never really in a hurry. Alex on the other hand is our little spitfire! He has places to go, things to do, and generally speeds through life.


  21. Who drove you to the hospital? Craig. Actually we went to the office first, then to the hospital.


  22. Who watched you give birth? Craig, and about 100 other people. (Well, it felt like it). By the time it was ready for delivery though I could have cared less. I think I lost all modesty around the 12th hour of labor. There were a few nurses, a few more NICU nurses, residents and my doctor. Goodness.


  23. Was it natural or a c-section? Natural.


  24. Did you take any medication to ease the pain? Are you kidding me? Is there any other way?! I had two epidurals-the first one fell out halfway through my labor.


  25. How much did your child weigh? 7lb 13 oz.


  26. When was your child actually born? Ironically, 2:59pm, right at shift change. God bless my nurse Shellene. I know how annoying it is to have a delivery right at shift change! There's no way you can leave without finishing all the paperwork! Honestly, I had NO control over the situation. Thanks again, Shellene!


  27. What did you name him/her? Andrew Jacoby. He's usually only Andrew when he's in trouble-otherwise we call him Drew!


  28. How old is your firstborn today? 6 1/2. Where does the time go?

I need to upload a newborn picture of Drew. This is the earliest one I had on my computer. I think he was around 18 months old.

3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

That is an adorable picture of Drew.

We had the same SCARY windstorm here too. I didn't have any little ones climb in bed with me - - - but the upstairs of our house was SHAKING! It scared me, so I went downstairs to sleep on the couch for a while!

Keri said...

I did this on Facebook! haha :)

Look at little tiny Drew!! CUTE

Anonymous said...

I remember coming home from college and planning to spend the night at the hospital so I could be there for it. And then actually driving back the next evening to finally meet the little guy! Love you Drew (you too Alex!)