Alex is most definitely not my little shopper.
I know, amazing is it not? Obviously, he did not inherit my shopping genes. I'm blaming it all on his daddy's influence.
I've tried making a game out of it (let's see who can find the milk first). I've tried all methods of bribery (the candy bribe is still by far the one I use the most), and I've tried threats (if you do not cooperate, there will be no MarioKart Wii the rest of the day), but really nothing is 100% or even 90% effective.
It's not that he is deliberately misbehaving. He's just so easily distracted. Good grief, I'm pretty sure the manufacturer's are marketing right to Alex's demographic group. Put a bright, shiny, colorful carton of something at his eye level, and it'll either be in our cart or he'll be admiring it long after I'm done in that aisle.
This is the store we frequent at least once a week (sometimes more). Yes, I'm pretty sure everybody that works there is quite familiar with us. He tolerates it for about 15-20 min max. I definitely try to have my list organized and have a clear idea of what I need when I get there-and leave QUICKLY.
In fact when I even mention grocery shopping I'll hear him mutter "boring old store". Clearly, he's quite enthusiastic about all our shopping adventures.
There is one store in particular that little Alex has coined as the "boringest store ever." I don't normally shop in this store, but this particular day before Christmas, I had a $10 off coupon. FREE! Oh, how I heart free.
In fact, I didn't realize this had made such a big impression on him, until a few days ago. This is how the conversation went:
Alex: "Mommy, wemember that store you made me go to with you, the one where we bought that backpoe". (backhoe).
Me: "Alex, what on earth are you talking about?"
Alex: "You know, that store that we had to walk and walk in, and my wegs got tiwed and I was gwumpy." Now, seriously Alex, that happens in every store.
Me: "We bought a backhoe????" Goodness, I think I'd remember that purchase.
Alex: "yeah, it was yellow, and I dropped it and bwoke it in the store, and we hung it on the Christmas tree. We bought Drew a wace car, and me a backpoe."
Me: "Oh, you mean the Christmas store we went to before Christmas?"
Alex: "Yeah, Man that was the boringest store ever."
Me: "It was?! It wasn't that bad was it?"
Alex: "I don't ever want to go back to that boring, boring store."
I realize, in hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea to visit this store right after we finished our weekly grocery shopping experience.
But the "boringest store ever"? I think I may have scarred him for life.
Remind me not to take him with me when I go to Maurice's.
I know, amazing is it not? Obviously, he did not inherit my shopping genes. I'm blaming it all on his daddy's influence.
I've tried making a game out of it (let's see who can find the milk first). I've tried all methods of bribery (the candy bribe is still by far the one I use the most), and I've tried threats (if you do not cooperate, there will be no MarioKart Wii the rest of the day), but really nothing is 100% or even 90% effective.
It's not that he is deliberately misbehaving. He's just so easily distracted. Good grief, I'm pretty sure the manufacturer's are marketing right to Alex's demographic group. Put a bright, shiny, colorful carton of something at his eye level, and it'll either be in our cart or he'll be admiring it long after I'm done in that aisle.
This is the store we frequent at least once a week (sometimes more). Yes, I'm pretty sure everybody that works there is quite familiar with us. He tolerates it for about 15-20 min max. I definitely try to have my list organized and have a clear idea of what I need when I get there-and leave QUICKLY.
In fact when I even mention grocery shopping I'll hear him mutter "boring old store". Clearly, he's quite enthusiastic about all our shopping adventures.
There is one store in particular that little Alex has coined as the "boringest store ever." I don't normally shop in this store, but this particular day before Christmas, I had a $10 off coupon. FREE! Oh, how I heart free.
In fact, I didn't realize this had made such a big impression on him, until a few days ago. This is how the conversation went:
Alex: "Mommy, wemember that store you made me go to with you, the one where we bought that backpoe". (backhoe).
Me: "Alex, what on earth are you talking about?"
Alex: "You know, that store that we had to walk and walk in, and my wegs got tiwed and I was gwumpy." Now, seriously Alex, that happens in every store.
Me: "We bought a backhoe????" Goodness, I think I'd remember that purchase.
Alex: "yeah, it was yellow, and I dropped it and bwoke it in the store, and we hung it on the Christmas tree. We bought Drew a wace car, and me a backpoe."
Me: "Oh, you mean the Christmas store we went to before Christmas?"
Alex: "Yeah, Man that was the boringest store ever."
Me: "It was?! It wasn't that bad was it?"
Alex: "I don't ever want to go back to that boring, boring store."
I realize, in hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea to visit this store right after we finished our weekly grocery shopping experience.
But the "boringest store ever"? I think I may have scarred him for life.
Remind me not to take him with me when I go to Maurice's.
2 comments:
I thought the link looked interesting - - - I would have thought he would LOVE the bears! (Or were they only for the advertisement and there weren't any in the store?)
You know I'm not going to lie. Can't say I blame the guy. :)
Post a Comment