Happy Belated Fourth of July!
Last week at our household consisted of doctor visits and cold/flu issues.
Yuck.
Ever have one of those days you realize it's just not your day? You shouldn't play the lottery because there is no chance of winning, considering how your day is going? (Not that I play anyway).
That would have been last Wednesday.
Alex was complaining about his ears hurting earlier that week, and had a cold. After waking up three times throughout the night I decided he probably knew what he was talking about and called for an appointment that morning.
We live about 50 minutes away from our pediatrician's office. (I know, but I really like my doctor). Which meant that when I called at 8:30 and was given an appointment for 9:45, we had to hustle.
If you ever been around a three and five year old you will know hustle is not exactly in their vocabulary.
Somehow we made it out the door, even with eating breakfast.
I didn't even have to break any speed limits (well, maybe just a little). Before I go on with this long drawn-out story (is anybody even reading anymore), let me just say most of our drive to the doctor is interstate, with very few curves.
Drew kept complaining he was "weally hot" in the back seat. I kept adjusting the air conditioning and reassuring him that really it was not that hot in the car. I was focusing on just getting to the doctor's office though and didn't really think anything about his whining.
Finally, we were almost there. I was trying to merge over three lanes of traffic to get to my exit, when Drew says desperately "mommy, I am weally, weally, hot".
Do you know what happened next?
I should have been listening to him telling me he was "weally hot".
Let's just say when you are trying to navigate through three lanes of traffic and deal with a fussy two year old in the car with an ear infection, the last thing you want to hear is the sound of someone getting sick in the back of your car.
Three times.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Laugh at the absurdity of it all or cry at the thought of dragging two sick children in the doctor's office, one covered in his breakfast.
To make matters worse, I had two napkins in the car.
Wow. That made a huge dent in the mess.
What a sight we must have been walking in the doctor's office.
One prescription for an antibiotic later and we were on our way.
Drew was fine the rest of the day. Alex took a long nap. I cleaned the car.
Then I cleaned the car some more.
I shared this story because it is so typical of life in our house at this stage in our lives. You never really know what to expect in the morning. The thing I've been learning the most about parenting lately, is that no matter what curve balls come your way, you have to go with the flow.
By nature, I'm not really a flexible person. I tend to like schedules and lists. I like my i's dotted and t's crossed. (Can we say first-born)?
Life with my two boys has taught me that I have to adaptable and not so focused on schedules and to do's.
I wouldn't have it any other way.
Although I think I'll pass on the getting sick in the car episode.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This reminds me of a story. A youth pastor friend of ours had his personal van packed with teenagers. One "spewed" his stomach contents from laughing too hard - - - which elicited the same result from ALL the teens in the van!!!!
They took the van to a car wash, opened it up and sprayed it out with a hose.
Post a Comment