Sunday, July 27, 2008

My Deflated Ego



My boys have been fascinated with babies ever since they had a little cousin born in April. Alex, especially enjoys touching Blake, patting his head and playing with his toes.

Poor Blake, he probably feels a little bit like a puppy with all the head patting going on when Alex is around.

Drew, on the other hand acts indifferent to Blake when he is around. He has however started playing with dolls, especially when he is at grandma's house. He also has many questions about babies.

Thank goodness I haven't had the dreaded "how are babies made" question yet.

My boys also have a great love for the TV show Cailou. I really don't have any problem with this show, but why does a four old child not have any hair?? I can't get past it. If it's because he has a medical condition, this would be a perfect opportunity to teach my kids. Otherwise, can we just please give him some hair already?

Obviously, I have issues.

My mom was babysitting recently and Drew was playing with his favorite doll. In Drew's defense, (just in case he reads this when he gets older), he is a boy through and through. He know his construction equipment, loves airplanes, monster trucks and all things boy. I think it's adorable that while at grandma's house he has a favorite doll. I think he's training to be a mighty fine dad someday!

According to my mom, he named the doll Julie. When she told me the story, I seriously felt a little teary. How sweet, I thought to myself, he named his favorite doll after his own mother. I even thought to myself what a tender and sweet heart my five year old little man has.

Ahem.

My mom was telling this story to my sister the other night when we were all together. This is how the conversation went.

Mom: "He named his favorite doll Julie. Isn't that sweet? He had never named her before".

My sister: "Awww. That's soooo cute".

Drew: "Yeah, cause you know the tv show Cailou? Cailou's babysitter is named Julie. That's why I named my baby that."

I think we may be turning the TV off this week.

2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh kids - - - ya gotta love the little squirts!!!

About the northwoods and fishing - - - Greg fishes for large mouth bass, small mouth bass, northern pike, musky, and walleye. He also catches the occasional crappie and blue gill.

He knows our small (500+ acre) lake well and "tears them up" every day. I guess that's fishing term for catches a lot.

About the logging - - - did you see my "answer" to my friend Char who was critical of the logging? I toned it down a BIT about how I really feel. I could have gone on an on. If you have ever lived in a logging area you have SEEN how lumbermen care for the woods - - - I mean, let's be REAL - - - if as much forest was being denuded as we are led to believe there's be NO FOREST LEFT anywhere by now. I KNOW they replant - - - you see pine forests up there ALL THE TIME with the pines in lovely straight rows. That never happened by chance.

I believe in the USE of renewable natural resources. I think part of the reason for the horrible forest fires in CA is that they aren't TAKING CARE of those forests by havesting mature trees - - - and the old dry dead ones are kindling just waiting for a spark.

OK - - - I'll get off my little soap box now.

Oh - - - one more soap box item - - - I ASKED my friend Char if she had any wooden furniture, if there was any wood in her home, and if she used paper. I said if she used any of those items, then she really can't complain about logging. Yikes - - - I think I might be outspoken!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

Here's a web site to get you started
http://www.haywardlakes.com/

I wish I could "hook you up" with our cabin, but he keeps it booked solid. If I ever hear he's got an opening, I'll let you know.

He used to own a whole resort, but two summers ago sold it to a land development company and just kept this one cabin.