Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Late Nights...Early Mornings

I've been much more relaxed about bedtime lately because, well...it's summer. The problem is bedtime keeps getting later and later and the kids keep getting up earlier and earlier.

Why is that exactly?

Alex, is especially making me want to pull my hair out at the mention of bedtime.

He is a pro at staying awake in his room. Last night he came out of his room at 11:30 to inform me I had forgotten to give him a snack.

Clearly, a hungry belly was keeping him from sleeping. I think he forgot about the TWO pieces of cake he had at 9:30.

Then there was the comment about wanting "weal people to lay beside me". I gave him a teddy bear. In an indignant tone he said "TEDDY BEARS ARE NOT WEAL"!!!

Well, excuussee me.

Sunday night he came down to tell us he had a bad dream and was scared.

Sounds reasonable, right? It would have been except he had only been in his room for ten minutes. A little soon to be having bad dreams.

And let's not forget about all the times he's been getting up in the middle of the night for all sorts of nonsense. There is no shortage of activity in our house at all hours of the night.

And the mornings? He's up bright eyed at 7:00 usually. I told him to go back to bed the other morning. He looked at me as though I had grown two heads. "The sun is up, it's time get up" was his reply.

I think it's a cruel joke that I need more sleep than my three year old son.

Just wait until he's sixteen.

I'll be the one going into his room at 7:00 telling him the sun is up, and opening the blinds.

Payback time.

I can't wait.

3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh just wait. :-)

(That from an OLD mom who's already BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT!!!)

Perhaps you should read "The Velveteen Rabbit" to Alex if he doesn't think his teddy is weel.

Keetha Broyles said...

Here's another WI vacation idea for you. I've never stayed here, but have been there during cherry harvest time - - - that was pretty spectacular!!

http://www.doorcounty.com/

HW said...

My kids were also early risers no matter when I put them to bed. Luckily, they cotinue to get up easily for school, and I don't have to wake them at all. All those sleepless nights and (too)early mornings are finally paying off.
But it drove me crazy when we were in that stage, so I DO know how you feel.